Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Power of Music and Love!


VUCC Fall Concert
Originally uploaded by jacquichris.
Today I was privileged to lead my first concert since last the accident last February. That's a long hiatus for a conductor. The Vanderbilt University Concert Choir and Chamber Singers presented a one hour concert to a large, responsive, and appreciative audience. These college students have been kind, dedicated, hard working, and most delightful to work with. It was a thrill to lead them and they gave their all and sang beautifully.

What a funny feeling it was to walk out on that stage. In spite of regular apprehensiveness - "can I still do it?"- I have treasured every rehearsal since we began in September. Leading the dress rehearsal in the concert hall yesterday was like winning the lottery. I felt so alive, so real, so happy - like I was meant for this - like I was meant to lead a choir. What amazing joy! Today I was excited and nervous - so worried I would let someone down, but once the music started I was possessed by it and by the voices and faces before me. To be a part of that wondrous moment when all become one and a new and ultimate truth is born - that is magic. When it was over and a colleague said, "doesn't it feel great to make music with people" I began to cry. As the tears rolled on, I hugged every student I could get ahold of and we celebrated.

Okay, now I'm exhausted and everything in my body aches, but I don't care. During those long days when just being alive seemed awfully difficult, my wonderful family, my dear friends and so many choir folk cared for me, encouraged me and helped me. I can never thank them enough for making me believe that I could recover, that I could make music again. Thanks to them, I am privileged to make music with people again - and wow - it's great. It is my fervent hope and prayer that I'll keep getting stronger and healtier so I can thank them over and over - and keep on leading choirs. Better days have indeed arrived and I am SO grateful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home