Thursday, April 14, 2005

Lack of substance

A momentous thing has happened.

After a few days of outpatient therapy and medical errands, Mom and I went over to Mickey's yesterday to visit and do some chores for her.

Now, to the untrained observer, this sounds like mundane, boring, normal living. But to the savvy insider who perhaps knew a little of our personal rituals, this is mundane, boring, normal living! For the first time since the accident, Mom and I have slid a little ways back into old if altered routines.

Tuesday after therapy we headed back to the Eye Institute to pick out glasses. After a grueling 20 minutes of trying every frame thrown her way, Mom settled on fabulous frames in a plucky red color with a bit of kitsch in the arms. Kelly and I were both envious of Mom's alacrity in making the just right choice.

Mom had been worked hard at outpatient therapy Tuesday and Wednesday as the current patient list is thin. On Wednesday she was informed that her progress continues to outstrip expectation and they wish to take her to half-days starting next week! Also, Mom has a new nickname, The Encourager, as a reflection of her continued tendency to put aside her own frustration and difficulties to help keep the other patients going.

Most of Mom's therapy is currently aimed at getting her back to work. When Mom wrote out her job responsibilities for the occupational therapist, she was told in no uncertain terms that she is going to have to make some changes for the work transition to succeed, including improved delegation skills. As she will not be able to climb the stairs at the MRH for quite some time (probably Julyish), we are also working on determining which work items can be performed in the Blair office and which will need to be moved home.

After therapy on Wednesday, Mom and I decided to stop by for a visit with Mickey. At that point, we discovered there were two steps, back to back, to get into Mickey's apartment. Mom took it in stride and did an excellent job manuvering herself and the walker both up and down them with me just there as a net, per se. Cheers for Mom!

By the time we returned home, we were both completely knackered. Happily for us, Roland brought home more spectacular food from the Piano Department faculty. The food is truly a blessing as it allows time in the evening to rest and get prepared for tomorrow. Thanks again to all the amazing cooks caring for us!

This weekend is going to be rather exciting, for me at least. Mom and Roland read that yogi Rodney Yee will be in town and signed me up for a 3 day series of classes. It is a spiritual and physical break I desperately needed and was incredibly thoughtful of them. This also means that Rol and Mom will be pretty much on their own for most of the weekend- a spiritual and physical break that I am sure they need! :-)

Next week we start back Monday with doctor visits, not that many though, and hope to join you all for the concert Tuesday.

Well, that is about it from here as life inkles a little closer to normal.

With love-

jax

9 Comments:

Blogger David R. Linn said...

"The Encourager", hmmm...

What a perfect title for her!

I personally have benefitted from that particular aspect of her personality. It's good to hear that it (that aspect) is so obvious to new acquaintances.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Dave & Nancy Estes Park said...

Hey Guys!
What a fabulous posting. Glad to hear therapy is moving along at a record pace and that you are trying hard to return to normal routines. Jacqui, How exciting for you this weekend! Have a ball.
Love to all
Dave and Nancy

12:00 PM  
Blogger Angie Antkowiak said...

I agree, "The Encourager" is a fitting title for our fair queen of music! When I joined VCC I thought I was doing good just to get accepted and sing with such a talented group...and then Pam comes along and encourages me to perform a solo, not once but TWICE!

I can't tell you what a feeling it is to have someone in your corner cheering for you to step out of your comfort zone and embrace your passion and your talents. I hope she knows just how much we are continuing to pray for her and we all are rootin' for her as she continues to sprint towards the end of the race. GO PAM!

And how exciting to hear that there may be a celebrity appearance at Tuesday's concert! I was so hoping that I could sing my solo for her as song of love and appreciation! (I'm assuming she'll have her entourage of body guards protecting her like any good celebrity! You might want to warn her about the paparazzi...) :-)

Keep up the fantastic work, and enjoy your yoga retreat (I am SO jealous!).

Love to all,
Ang

1:39 PM  
Blogger Carissa said...

Dearest Pam,

It does my heart good to see that you are improving so rapidly. I know that it is a great blessing for you and your family as well.

I do hope you can attend Tuesday's concert. We would love to see you and give you all of our well wishes in person.

Take care and keep up the good work!!

Carissa

2:59 PM  
Blogger Aletes said...

We need pictures of these plucky new glasses.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah-Elizabeth said...

What a great new name "The Encourager"....I am so happy to hear that things are going so well! Jacqui- have fun this weekend, my sister will also be there maybe you will run into each other! Oh well, Have a great day and keep up the good work...
Love Hugs and Kisses
Sarah-Elizabeth

11:18 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hello!! Pam, I first must apologize for missing your birthday. I am still feeling a bit ashamed. Then I must apologize for not e-mailing more consistently; I was getting used to talking with Jacqui rather then communicating by e-mail. But you guys have stepped up your social schedule so much that it hard to reach you:) I think the "Encourager" is an excellent alias- I just hope you remember to encourage the one who is most important (YOU!). Jacqui, this yoga weekend is just the thing that I have been hoping and imagining for you. Fly away and find some peace for yourself- and remember how truly brilliant and strong you are. I love you!!! -Nicole

9:30 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Hi Pam,
What wonderful progress you continue to make. Your new title fits you perfectly.

I'm practicing the Haydn and would love to sing it for you. We all hope to see you at the concert Tuesday so that we can have an opportunity to encourage you.

I know that your progress will continue.

Much love to you and Team Schneller,

Vanessa J.

12:50 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

we miss you jacqui! have you disappeared?

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home