Thursday, March 03, 2005

Drag racing

Wow! So far today is a good day- the first one since Mom decided to self-concuss. Which probably makes it time to catch you up on what actually happened. Previously, with her having not-good days, I have been a little too stressed to really go into all the dirty details...

SO- Tuesday morning Mom woke up somewhere around 5:30am and decided to go on walkabout. She had previously woken up at about midnight and set off the bed alarm sitting up. For unknown reasons, the bed alarm thing did not go off when Mom decided to leave on her own so the fall was not witnessed. She was found within about 10 minutes of the fall as they had been checking on her at least twice an hour all night. She had a large knot on the side of her head with some oozing just over her right eyebrow. The swelling decreased dramatically within the first 6 hours but it was pretty obvious that the fall had a negative impact on Mom's mental status. As Mom is on warfarin and low-molecular weight heparin. any head trauma carries the risk of fatal intracranial hemorrhage and so Mom's attending ordered a head CT to rule out bleeding. The CT was performed that evening but results were not available to us until the next morning. Happily, the CT showed continued improvement in the hematomas bilaterally and no evidence of new hemorrhage.

Mentally Mom has been very scattered and agitated and apparently she knocked half her vocabulary out of her head when she thonked it. In addition her vision has been fuzzy at best and she has been very dizzy with spontaneous vertical nystagmus. The last two days have been very tough as a result. Today, though, she seemed to have regained her concentration a bit, has cleared vision and does not feel dizzy. As a result, she has done quite well in therapy and has gone much longer before becoming plaintive and scattered. Her physical stamina is quite up, impressive to everyone around her, and today she took her first spin at driving her wheelchair herself. I sense drag racing will not be far behind.

Well, it is time for me to get back so I will have to wait to share recent zingers until I get back. Hoping you all take a few moments to enjoy the sunshine-



Blogger Dave & Nancy Estes Park said...

Jacqui, so good to hear the CT scan was not bad news. Head injuries are so tricky, glad to hear Pam was more cohearant (sp) today. A little scary she will soon be independent in the wheelchair! Races indeed!
Hope you are all well and hangin in there.
Love to all,
Dave and Nancy

5:02 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

it's good to hear good news!! keep it coming!! (and drink a dalmation at fido, jacqui!! it's my favorite drink and it's AMAZING!!)

10:39 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hi Jacqui (and Roland and Brian and David and Kelly and.....MOM!), Well, I just got home from work and it is too late to call (midnight)- I hate working so much because it makes it difficult to keep up with all of these changes. I absolutely believe that clonks are an inevitable part of successful head trauma healing (my friend Amy, in a coma for 4 weeks, had the same set-back/ race for freedom- and as we know, she is doing wonderfully today) Anyway, I think someone made the mistake of showing Pam one these tent things and she just went for it. Hell, she probably went for a jaunt and then conked herself over the head with a frying pan to score one of those babies! Tell her I am proud. As for you, I cannot tell you how much it pains me to know what you must have been going through these last few days without my knowing about all that you have been going through. I miss you honey. Please know that I am with you always- even when I'm not (helpful, aren't I?) I love you honey. Kiss your Mom for me- by the way, how the hell could she think she looks like a hockey player with a smile like that? Love you guys. -Nicole

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home